Now Hiring Travel Writers for Freelance Content Writing
Blue Ridge Mountains Travel Guide is growing fast, so we’re looking for a few freelance travel writers to add to our blog’s team of regular contributors.
Experience in freelance writing and/or travel blogging is a plus. But interest, ability, and a willingness to learn new, marketable skills quickly are much more important.
Competitive compensation is based on a number of factors, but we do offer professional training, pay promptly every month, and give frequent pay bumps as our website continues to grow.
Note that this is a remote 1099 position, but it could develop into part-time or even full-time work for the right candidate. We strive to form long-lasting professional relationships.
Several of our former writers have gone on to careers in the travel industry, including Managing Editor at Forbes Travel Guide, Travel Editor at U.S. News & World Report, and Content Manager at Facebook/Meta.
- Based in the Blue Ridge region of East Tennessee or Western Virginia (or travel to those areas often)
- Curiosity/knowledge of culture, travel, and outdoor adventures in those areas
- Have excellent grammar and proofreading skills
- Ability to develop compelling story ideas
- Ability to write informative, research-driven content (both long-form narrative and concise listicles)
- Self-driven “go-getter” personality, with an ability to make deadlines and accept constructive criticism
- Willingness to learn how to use WordPress, photo editing software, and SEO (search engine optimization) tools
- Collaborate with Editor in Chief Bret Love (a 30-year veteran of the publishing industry) on a regular basis
- Pitch original story ideas, as well as accept specific assignments
- Provide up-to-date recommendations and stories based on personal experience and journalistic research
- Provide creative, original content (AI-generated or plagiarized material are grounds for immediate dismissal)
- Explore new activities and attractions in target regions on a regular basis
- Provide quality photos to accompany your stories
- Promote your stories via social media channels to help expand audience reach
Benefits & Perks
- Free professional training from a renowned expert in travel journalism, blogging, content marketing, and SEO
- Exposure to a rapidly growing audience of more than 200,000 visitors a month
- Completely flexible schedule (as long as you meet agreed-upon deadlines)
- Consistent work and timely payment of invoices
- Possibility of part-time or full-time work for the right candidate
- Possible hosted press trips (including accommodations, attractions, activities, and some meals)
- Rapid development of marketable skills such as content marketing and SEO
How To Apply
Please send an introductory email to [email protected]. All submissions MUST include the following, or they will be deleted:
- Travel writing samples and/or a link to your portfolio
- A resume or brief summary of any journalism training or professional writing experience
- Info about where you live and how often you travel to/in the Blue Ridge Mountains region
- The best phone number to contact you for follow-up interviews
- An explanation of why you’d like to work with BRMTG, and why you’re a good candidate
- When you can start, and how many 1500-2500 word stories you can contribute each month (ideally 1-4)
- Put “I love the Blue Ridge Mountains!” as the subject line of your email so we know you’ve read the entire post
Thanks for your interest, and we look forward to reading your submissions!